Searching for a festive meal to make for family and friends? Look no further. Chef Matt’s got you covered with one of his favorite dishes - Porchetta.
Savory, delicious and an Italian culinary tradition that will make you feel REALLY good. Oh – and it might just make its way to Piada’s menu someday.
Make it at home using Chef Matt’s recipe:
What you’ll need
11lb pork belly (skinless)
1 batch of belly seasoning
1.5 oz. freshly chopped garlic
1 oz. granulated sugar
2 oz. Kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. freshly toasted and ground fennel seed
1 tbsp. freshly ground dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried lemon peel
1 tsp. freshly ground Aleppo pepper
1) Make sure pork belly is clean of skin, then blot it dry with a paper towel.
2) Rub seasoning on both sides of belly and place in a non-reactive pan to marinate in refrigerator overnight (at least 8 hours).
3) Remove pan from the refrigerator and remove the belly to a clean and sanitized work surface.
4) Using a knife, remove the thickest parts of the belly, rearrange to make the belly “even”.
5) Roll the belly TIGHT and tie off with butcher’s twine.
6) Place on a rack in a 450°F convection oven for 30 minutes, then lower to a 350° non-convection oven until an instant read thermometer reads 160°F.
7) Remove and eat :)